$8 Mini Succulent Planter

http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2013/11/8-mini-succulent-planter.html
Succulent planters are cute, but your choices sure are limited.
Hobby Lobby has a few of these, but I don't like them.

This is Hobby Lobby's....
The whole thing is maybe 5 inches tall, with 4" of it being the big porcelain planter. It's $9.99. The containers are uncreative, and the fake plants in them are too small.

So I decided to make my own, of course!

I bought a small glass container, flower foam, river rocks, and a fake succulent. 

Glass container $2.99
flower foam $1.99
succulent $4.99
river rocks $2.99
Total: $12.96 *floral not on sale*

I wasn't patient enough to wait till they were all on sale...but if I could have waited until the floral department was on sale, it would have been $7.99 for everything.
Hobby Lobby has a whole succulent section, so you can customize the size or type of succulent(s) you want, which I just love.


 I had some jute and hot glue on hand, so to add some texture, I wrapped the bottom quarter of the glass container in jute (instructions here)


I trimmed some flower foam to fit in the container (only about halfway to the top):


 ...with room to fit the little river pebbles around the sides... 


 I pressed the stem of my succulent into the center of the foam, and covered the rest of the foam with the pebbles!


 I like this little guy on top of the toilet, it adds color and it's just so attractive...


 And I never have to water it! It looks so real!!

You can use a bigger planter and add several succulents for height and variety too, and it's so much cheaper than buying arrangements. 

I'm thinking of doing a mock-terrarium thing in my kitchen window at some point too.